Descendants of Richard Farnsworth
Generation No. 1
1. RICHARD1 FARNSWORTH was born Abt. 1584 in Eccles, Lincolnshire, Eng.. He married ELIZABETH MARSHE January 12, 1607/08, daughter of JACOBS MARSHE and ALICIA HEY. She was born in Eccles, Lincolnshire, Eng..
Notes for RICHARD FARNSWORTH:
Children of RICHARD FARNSWORTH and ELIZABETH MARSHE are:
2. i. MATHIAS2 FARNSWORTH, b. July 20, 1612, Eccles, Lincolnshire, Eng.; d. January 21, 1687/88, Groton, Ma.
ii. ALIZIA FARNSWORTH.
iii. JONATHAN FARNSWORTH, b. August 02, 1612, Lanc. Winwick, Eng; m. ELIZABETH KERSHAW.
iv. MARY FARNSWORTH.
v. HESTER FARNSWORTH.
Generation No. 2
2. MATHIAS2 FARNSWORTH (RICHARD1) was born July 20, 1612 in Eccles, Lincolnshire, Eng., and died January 21, 1687/88 in Groton, Ma. He married MARY FARR. She was born Bet. 1615 – 1620 in Lynn, Ma, and died January 07, 1715/16 in Groton, Ma.
Notes for MATHIAS FARNSWORTH:
Source: Epitaphs from the Old Burying Ground, Groton, MA by Dr. Samuel A.
Green, Boston: Little Brown & Company 1878
Matthias Farnsworth, the progenitor of the numerous families in Groton bearing this name came to Groton from Lynn, MA. (note: b. 1615, Lancashire, England)
He was an original proprietor of the town and owned a twenty-acre right. His farm was situated on both sides of the road leading to Harvard, a little south of James’ brook, more than a mile from the village. He was living at Lynn in the year 1657 and at Groton in 1664 though he may have been a resident of each place earlier
than these respective dates. He died in the latter part of the year 1689
aged 77 years.
The following is a copyof his will, on file in the Middlesex Probate Office at East Cambridge, Mass. “Groton Jenewarey 15th 1688/9 and in the 4 yere of the Rain of King Jams the
sacond I Mathyas farnworth sen of groton in the county of midlsix in new
ingland aged 77 yers being wall considrat and of sound and parfit Judgment and understanding thanks be to god for it I being sensabl of my many frailtyes & unsartanty of my natueral lif and knowing what disadvantag many times hapens for want of a Right sating the hous in order being desiras to ackt and satl things that consarns me do mak conshans and do daclare this prasent instrement to be my last will & tastement in manar and form as foloweth making voyd all formar wills ather by word or dead but first I Commit my soul to all myty god my Creater hoping I shal Rasave full pardon of all my sins throw Jasus Christ and I commit my bodey to the earth from whans it was taken to be beured in such deasant manar as my
exsecters shall see meet and first to the distrebiting my eastat I do give to my beloved wif so long as she lives a widow won third of my whol astat and the moveables within the hous I do laave to hur to daspose as shee pleases and sacondly I do give to my son Mathyas farnworth for his full porshan that vive accker Right which his deed spasefyes and a peese of madow called by the name of half moon madow and twanty akekers of land lying neer a plase called by the
nam of Prascots olde mill and this to be counted to be his full porshan unlass he meets] with malistration by any relations of his and if so then I will give to my son Mathyas my hom stall that I now dwall upon with hous & barn and that hom stall that my son Mathyas now lives on to Raturn in seed thare of. And thirdly I give to my son John farnworth that five akar Right that his deed
spasfyes and tan shilins more to be Payed of the astat for his full porshan.
Fourthly I give to my son Bangeman farnworth that part of my land lying on the out sid of my hom stall fans at the lower end of the lot and twanty akkers at the plas neer prescotts old mill and six akkers of madow lying at south madow and this for his porshan.
Fiftly for my son samewall & jonathan farnworth I doe give the Rast of my land & madow that is undaposed on lying at the old mill for thare porshan.
And I give my daughter Robinson won cow and to my daughter Thatcher I give twenty shilins and to my daughter Stoon (Stone) won cow and twanty shilins and to daughter abigall frnworth twalue pound for her porshuan and as to the Rast of my
estat undaposed of I leave in the hand of my exsectters to dapose of to my wif or children as thay think to be most Rason I mak chois of my son Mathyas farnworth
with nathanil lawrins (Lawrence) san & Jonas prescott for exsackters this taken from his own mouth syned and sealed in the prasants of us – his (mark)
Nicklas (S) huchins
Also I give my loam & tacklins for waring to to my son mathyas farnworth
Xbr 17 1689 Charlestowne
Nathan’ll Larrance & Jonas Prescott appearing in Court made oath yt they were prsent when Mathias ffarnworth deced signed sealed and published this
as his last will& Testament, and yt he was of sound judgement and of
disposeing minde when he did ye same and yt they sett their hands there to as witnesses with Nicolas Hutchins at att. Sam’u Phipps, Clerk
His wife’s name was Mary and they had ten children. The list of them given below is compiled from different sources. It is probable that his “daughter Robison” was the wife of James Robertson or Robinson and in that case, her name was Elizabeth and probably was born in England. James Robertson an original proprietor of the town married his wife Jan 16, 1667 and she died Dec. 22, 1729
aged 82 years. I am not sure about the order of the births of his children
but I suggest the following: Elizabeth (?) who prob. married James Robertson; Joseph born Nov. 17, 1657 at Lynn, MA and died Feb. 20, 1686/7; Mary born Oct 11 1660 at Lynn and married April 11, 1676 Samuel Thatcher of Watertown,
MA; Matthias, born at Groton; John who married Dec. 8, 1686 Hannah dau of John and Sarah (Eliot) Aldis of Dedham, and had nine children; Benjamin who married Mary, daughter of Jonas and Mary (Loker) Prescott and had ten children; Samuel who married Dec 12, 1706 the widow Mary (Whitcomb) Willard and had three children; Abigail born January 17, 1671 and prob. married John Hutchins
of Groton; Sarah (?) who perhaps married Simon Stone; and Jonathan born June 1 1675 married Ruth (Shattuck) and had fourteen children.
John one of the above sons named, was an influential man in all town affairs. He was an ensign in the militia, a selectman, a representative to the General Court from 1708 to 1714 inclusive excepting 1711, and a deacon in the church. In the autumn of 1711 he was in command of one of the eighteen garrisons in the town.
The name of Matthias Farnsworth of Groton MA appears in a list of prisoners in the hands of the French and Indians in Canada March 5, 1710/11, though there is nothing in the record to show when he was captured. He was probably the
son of Matthias Jr. and if so, he was a young man about 20 yrs old at the date of the list.
Children of MATHIAS FARNSWORTH and MARY FARR are:
i. ELIZABETH3 FARNSWORTH, b. 1647.
3. ii. MATHIAS FARNSWORTH II, b. January 1648/49.
4. iii. JOHN FARNSWORTH, b. 1651, Lynn, Ma.
5. iv. BENJAMIN FARNSWORTH, b. Abt. 1655.
v. JOSEPH FARNSWORTH, b. November 06, 1657.
vi. MARY FARNSWORTH, b. October 11, 1660.
6. vii. SARAH FARNSWORTH, b. Abt. 1663; d. September 16, 1731, Groton, Ma.
7. viii. SAMUEL FARNSWORTH, b. October 08, 1669.
ix. ABIGAIL FARNSWORTH, b. January 17, 1670/71.
8. x. JONATHAN FARNSWORTH, SR., b. April 01, 1675, Groton, Ma; d. August 16, 1748, Harvard, Ma..
xi. JOSEPH FARNSWORTH, b. 1677.
Generation No. 3
3. MATHIAS3 FARNSWORTH II (MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born January 1648/49. He married SARAH NUTTING.
Children of MATHIAS FARNSWORTH and SARAH NUTTING are:
i. JOSEPH4 FARNSWORTH, b. January 17, 1681/82; d. February 02, 1681/82.
9. ii. EBENEZER FARNSWORTH.
10. iii. JOSIAH FARNSWORTH.
iv. SARAH FARNSWORTH.
v. MATHIUS FARNSWORTH, b. August 06, 1690.
More About MATHIUS FARNSWORTH:
Captured: 1704, by Indians from Groton, Ma and taken to Quebec..
4. JOHN3 FARNSWORTH (MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born 1651 in Lynn, Ma. He married HANNAH ALDIS December 03, 1696.
Children of JOHN FARNSWORTH and HANNAH ALDIS are:
i. ABIGAIL4 FARNSWORTH, b. October 17, 1687.
ii. JOHN FARNSWORTH, b. December 01, 1689; d. September 04, 1703.
iii. DANIEL FARNSWORTH, b. May 11, 1692.
iv. NATHAN FARNSWORTH, b. March 13, 1695/96; d. August 04, 1753.
v. JOSEPH FARNSWORTH, b. February 26, 1697/98.
vi. JERIMIAH FARNSWORTH, b. March 24, 1700/01.
vii. HANNAH FARNSWORTH, b. July 21, 1702.
viii. RACHEL FARNSWORTH, b. December 08, 1704.
ix. SARAH FARNSWORTH, b. November 20, 1707.
5. BENJAMIN3 FARNSWORTH (MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1655. He married MARY PRESCOTT.
Children of BENJAMIN FARNSWORTH and MARY PRESCOTT are:
i. MARY4 FARNSWORTH, b. January 05, 1695/96.
ii. MARTHA FARNSWORTH, b. January 09, 1697/98; d. February 11, 1697/98.
iii. BENJAMIN FARNSWORTH, b. January 16, 1698/99.
11. iv. ISSAC FARNSWORTH, b. July 04, 1701.
v. EZRA FARNSWORTH, b. January 17, 1702/03.
vi. AMOS FARNSWORTH, b. November 27, 1704.
vii. LYDIA FARNSWORTH, b. September 26, 1706.
viii. AARON FARNSWORTH, b. August 29, 1709.
ix. JONAS FARNSWORTH, b. October 04, 1713; m. THANKFUL WHEELER.
x. DEBORAH FARNSWORTH, b. 1715.
6. SARAH3 FARNSWORTH (MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1663, and died September 16, 1731 in Groton, Ma. She married SIMON STONE. He was born Abt. 1655, and died December 12, 1740 in Groton, Ma.
More About SARAH FARNSWORTH:
Burial: A plaque near her burial site in Groton, Ma documents her parents and siblings
Children of SARAH FARNSWORTH and SIMON STONE are:
i. ISSAC4 STONE, b. Abt. 1696; d. September 30, 1723, Groton, Ma.
ii. HANNAH STONE, b. Abt. 1700; d. September 27, 1723, Groton, Ma.
iii. LYDIA STONE, b. Abt. 1707; d. September 30, 1723, Groton, Ma.
7. SAMUEL3 FARNSWORTH (MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born October 08, 1669. He married MARY (MARRAH) WHITCOMB December 12, 1706, daughter of UNKNOWN WHITCOMB.
More About MARY (MARRAH) WHITCOMB:
Widowed: Widow of Simon Willard, grandson of Major Simon Willard of King Phillip’s War
Children of SAMUEL FARNSWORTH and MARY WHITCOMB are:
i. MARY4 FARNSWORTH, b. September 13, 1707.
ii. SAMUEL FARNSWORTH, b. June 29, 1709.
iii. DAVID FARNSWORTH, b. August 04, 1711.
12. iv. STEPHEN FARNSWORTH, b. 1715; d. September 06, 1771.
8. JONATHAN3 FARNSWORTH, SR. (MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born April 01, 1675 in Groton, Ma, and died August 16, 1748 in Harvard, Ma.. He married RUTH SHATTUCK, daughter of JOHN SHATTUCK and RUTH WHITNEY. She was born June 24, 1668, and died June 16, 1748.
More About JONATHAN FARNSWORTH, SR.:
Burial: Harvard, Ma.
Owned: Owned a huge piece of property in Harvard including the “Prescott Mill”, AKA “The Old Mill”. Possibly owned property on Depot Rd. He and Ruth were charter members of the Harvard Congregational Church which means they were founders of the town.
Children of JONATHAN FARNSWORTH and RUTH SHATTUCK are:
13. i. JONATHAN4 FARNSWORTH, JR., b. March 02, 1700/01; d. August 01, 1775, Groton, Ma.
ii. RUTH FARNSWORTH, b. April 02, 1699, Groton, Ma.
iii. EPHRAM FARNSWORTH, b. January 03, 1702/03; d. 1737.
iv. RUEBEN FARNSWORTH, b. April 28, 1705.
v. PHINEAS FARNSWORTH, b. September 15, 1707.
vi. PRISCILLA FARNSWORTH, b. September 09, 1709.
vii. NATHANIEL FARNSWORTH, b. September 01, 1711.
viii. JOHN FARNSWORTH, b. February 08, 1713/14.
ix. HANNAH FARNSWORTH, b. August 10, 1716.
x. SIMON FARNSWORTH, b. July 12, 1718.
xi. SUSANNA FARNSWORTH, b. April 28, 1720.
xii. ELIAS FARNSWORTH, b. May 30, 1723.
xiii. JOHN FARNSWORTH, b. April 25, 1725.
xiv. SILAS FARNSWORTH, b. November 22, 1727.
Generation No. 4
9. EBENEZER4 FARNSWORTH (MATHIAS3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) He married ELIZABETH WHITNEY April 17, 1707.
Children of EBENEZER FARNSWORTH and ELIZABETH WHITNEY are:
i. ELIZABETH5 FARNSWORTH, b. January 27, 1707/08.
ii. MATHIUS FARNSWORTH, b. September 20, 1709.
iii. EBENEZER FARNSWORTH, b. December 16, 1711; d. October 11, 1723.
iv. WILLIAM FARNSWORTH, b. August 04, 1714.
v. ABIGAIL FARNSWORTH, b. September 02, 1718.
vi. KEZIA FARNSWORTH, b. May 17, 1725.
vii. SARAH FARNSWORTH, b. August 05, 1725.
viii. LYDIA FARNSWORTH, b. December 20, 1729.
10. JOSIAH4 FARNSWORTH (MATHIAS3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) He married MARY PIERCE March 1719/20.
Children of JOSIAH FARNSWORTH and MARY PIERCE are:
i. JOSIAH5 FARNSWORTH, b. January 04, 1720/21.
ii. MARY FARNSWORTH, b. June 05, 1722.
iii. OLIVER FARNSWORTH, b. August 30, 1723.
iv. EBENEZER FARNSWORTH, b. March 22, 1725/26.
v. JAMES FARNSWORTH, b. December 02, 1727.
vi. JERIMIAH FARNSWORTH, b. August 29, 1729.
vii. THOMAS FARNSWORTH, b. April 01, 1731.
viii. JOSEPH FARNSWORTH, b. November 27, 1732.
ix. OLIVER FARNSWORTH, b. January 16, 1734/35.
x. MARY FARNSWORTH, b. February 02, 1736/37.
11. ISSAC4 FARNSWORTH (BENJAMIN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born July 04, 1701. He married SARAH PAGE April 1723.
Children of ISSAC FARNSWORTH and SARAH PAGE are:
i. ISSAC5 FARNSWORTH, b. November 30.
ii. WILLIAM FARNSWORTH, b. February 16, 1724/25.
iii. SARAH FARNSWORTH, b. November 27, 1727.
iv. LYDIA FARNSWORTH, b. July 24, 1729.
v. LYDIA FARNSWORTH, b. July 05, 1730.
vi. MOLLY FARNSWORTH, b. June 06, 1735.
vii. ESTHER FARNSWORTH.
12. STEPHEN4 FARNSWORTH (SAMUEL3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born 1715, and died September 06, 1771. He married EUNICE HASTINGS December 22, 1741. She was born September 03, 1722 in Watertown, Ma, and died June 09, 1811.
More About STEPHEN FARNSWORTH:
Captured: April 19, 1746, Stephen Farnsworth was captured by the Indians and French From Charlestown, NH AKA Fort #4
Children of STEPHEN FARNSWORTH and EUNICE HASTINGS are:
i. OLIVER5 FARNSWORTH, b. 1742; m. ELIZABETH WHEELER.
ii. SARAH FARNSWORTH, b. 1748; m. PETER PAGE, 1765.
iii. SUBMIT FARNSWORTH, b. 1750; m. JOHN HART, 1773.
iv. EUNICE FARNSWORTH, b. 1752; m. NATHAN COOK.
v. JONATHAN FARNSWORTH, b. 1754; m. (1) REBECCA OR MARTHA COTTLE; m. (2) SUSANNAH BREWER, 1774, So. Woodstock, VT.
vi. AZUBAH FARNSWORTH, b. 1756; m. THOMAS ADAMS, 1776; b. Charlestown, NH Fort #4.
vii. MARY FARNSWORTH, b. 1759; m. WILLIAM MCCLOY, Woodstock, VT.
viii. RELIEF FARNSWORTH, b. 1762; m. WARREN COTTLE, 1781, Woodstock, VT; b. 1755, Tisbury, MA.
ix. STEPHEN FARNSWORTH, b. 1764; d. 1829; m. DEBORAH BENNETT, 1785, Woodstock, VT; b. 1763; d. 1845.
13. JONATHAN4 FARNSWORTH, JR. (JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born March 02, 1700/01, and died August 01, 1775 in Groton, Ma. He married (1) MARY BURT June 30, 1725. She was born 1701 in Groton, Ma, and died June 09, 1765. He married (2) HANNAH FARWELL May 05, 1767.
Children of JONATHAN FARNSWORTH and MARY BURT are:
i. MARY5 FARNSWORTH, b. June 18, 1726; d. March 17, 1727/28, Harvard, Ma.
14. ii. JONATHAN FARNSWORTH III, b. November 22, 1727; d. June 26, 1759.
iii. BETTY FARNSWORTH, b. October 13, 1729.
15. iv. JOSEPH FARNSWORTH, b. January 31, 1731/32, Groton, Ma.
v. ABEL FARNSWORTH, b. May 12, 1734.
vi. UNKNOWN FARNSWORTH, b. 1736.
vii. ELIAS FARNSWORTH, b. October 28, 1737; d. 1740.
viii. LEMUEL FARNSWORTH, b. August 06, 1740.
ix. RACHEL FARNSWORTH, b. 1742.
Generation No. 5
14. JONATHAN5 FARNSWORTH III (JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born November 22, 1727, and died June 26, 1759. He married RACHEL NUTTING May 24, 1749 in Harvard, Ma. She was born 1726.
Children of JONATHAN FARNSWORTH and RACHEL NUTTING are:
i. THOMAS6 FARNSWORTH, b. October 23, 1752, Harvard, Ma.
ii. MARY FARNSWORTH.
iii. ASA FARNSWORTH, b. May 12, 1754, Harvard, Ma.
iv. ELIAS FARNSWORTH, b. June 17, 1750; m. LOIS WILLARD, November 25, 1773.
v. JONATHAN FARNSWORTH IV, b. September 06, 1758; d. August 23, 1840, Bakersfield, VT.
15. JOSEPH5 FARNSWORTH (JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born January 31, 1731/32 in Groton, Ma. He married HANNAH FLYNT April 21, 1855 in Harvard, Ma, daughter of NATHANIEL FLINT and RUTH. She was born July 21, 1735 in Reading, Ma.
Children of JOSEPH FARNSWORTH and HANNAH FLYNT are:
16. i. JOHN6 FARNSWORTH, b. February 04, 1771, Harvard, Ma.; d. January 20, 1826, Shirley, Ma.
17. ii. LEVI FARNSWORTH, SR., b. February 27, 1758, Harvard, Ma..
iii. SAMUEL FARNSWORTH, b. August 29, 1755; m. BETSY FITCH.
iv. JOSEPH FARNSWORTH, b. April 27, 1760.
v. JESSE FARNSWORTH, b. March 01, 1765; d. February 21, 1848; m. SARAH SAWTELL.
vi. JONATHAN FARNSWORTH, b. August 20, 1767, Harvard, MA; d. 1847; m. HITTY PARKER, March 15, 1796.
vii. NATHANIEL F. FARNSWORTH, b. January 02, 1770.
viii. EUNICE FARNSWORTH, b. May 22, 1774.
ix. NANCY FARNSWORTH, b. 1775.
x. BETSY FARNSWORTH, b. 1777.
xi. HANNAH FARNSWORTH.
Generation No. 6
16. JOHN6 FARNSWORTH (JOSEPH5, JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born February 04, 1771 in Harvard, Ma., and died January 20, 1826 in Shirley, Ma. He married (1) NANCY BAKER. He married (2) PRISCILLA DICKINSON June 11, 1795, daughter of JAMES DICKINSON and PRISCILLA HARRIS. She was born February 18, 1778 in Shirley, Ma, and died April 15, 1859.
Children of JOHN FARNSWORTH and PRISCILLA DICKINSON are:
18. i. SAMUEL7 FARNSWORTH, b. February 28, 1814, Shirley, Ma; d. May 03, 1904, Shirley, Ma.
ii. BETSY FARNSWORTH, b. April 19, 1807; m. MELZAR VINAL; b. Concord, Ma.
iii. JOSEPH FARNSWORTH, b. 1795; d. 1833.
Notes for JOSEPH FARNSWORTH:
Information on Joseph Farnsworth (and several other siblings) was provided by Bessie Vinal Farnsworth in a letter to Ruth E. Mellish. Bessie records two children of John’s named “Joseph” who live simultaneously. Since, at this time, there is no way of knowing which of the two (or either) is correct both have been included here.-D.B.
iv. JOHN FARNSWORTH, b. 1797; d. 1833.
v. NANCY FARNSWORTH, b. 1800; d. 1869, Concord, Ma.
vi. JOSEPH FARNSWORTH, b. 1802; d. 1880.
vii. SALLY FARNSWORTH, m. UNKNOWN, Concord, Ma.
19. viii. SOPHIA FARNSWORTH, b. 1816.
20. ix. CALVIN FARNSWORTH, b. 1820.
17. LEVI6 FARNSWORTH, SR. (JOSEPH5, JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born February 27, 1758 in Harvard, Ma.. He married ABIGAIL HARRINGTON. She was born March 31, 1763 in Lexington, Ma, and died November 01, 1811.
Child of LEVI FARNSWORTH and ABIGAIL HARRINGTON is:
i. LEVI7 FARNSWORTH, JR., b. October 05, 1791, Shirley, Ma.; m. HANNAH HARRIET BURRAGE; b. July 08, 1797, Lunenburg, Ma; d. June 26, 1846, No. Weare, NH.
Generation No. 7
18. SAMUEL7 FARNSWORTH (JOHN6, JOSEPH5, JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born February 28, 1814 in Shirley, Ma, and died May 03, 1904 in Shirley, Ma. He married SARAH CARKIN April 01, 1838, daughter of ASA CARKIN and MARY HODGEMAN. She was born June 16, 1818 in Dracut, Ma, and died October 17, 1908 in Shirley, Ma.
Notes for SAMUEL FARNSWORTH:
Samuel Farnsworth and family were enumerated in the 1850 Shirley, MA census on p. 8B. The household consisted of Samuel, age 36, a farmer with $3,000 in property, Sarah A., age 32, George, age 11, Sarah J., age 8, Nelson, age 5, Thomas Chaplin, a 37 yr. old laborer and Esther Carkin, age 25, probably Sarah’s sister.
U.S. Census, Shirley, MA; house 120, family 137.
Samuel Farnsworth and family were enumerated in the 1860 Shirley, MA census, p. 30., family 219, house 208. The household consisted of Samuel, age 45, a farmer, with $7,000? in real estate and $2,000 in personal property, a farmer; Sarah A., age 41; George S., age 21; Sarah J., age 18; Melzar V., age 11; Lewis J., age 5, Ester Carkin, age 33, a domestic; and George Holden, age 25, a farm laborer. Sarah, Melzar and Lewis attended school that year. All were born in MA.
Samuel Farnsworth and family were enumerated in the 1870 Shirley, MA census, p. 32. The household consisted of 56 yr. old Samuel, a farmer with $11,000 in real estate and $5,000 in personal property; Sarah A., age 52; Melgar, age 24, farm laborere; Lewis C., age 16, farm laborer; and Esther Carkin, age 45, a domestic servant.
Samuel Farnsworth and family were enumerated in the 1880 Shirley, MA census, ED 575?, p. 4. The household consisted of Samuel, age 66, a farmer; Sarah A., age 62; Esther Carkin, age 50, a servant. All were born in MA.
Marriage date might have been 1835
Was the owner of the Bull Run tavern, and at one time consider the richest man in Shirley.
More About SAMUEL FARNSWORTH:
Burial: Shirley, Ma.
Notes for SARAH CARKIN:
In the 1850 Shirley Census, she was 32 yrs. old. Her sister Esther was living with them.
U.S. Census, Shirley, MA; house 120, family 137.
Vital Record of Shirley Massachusetts has marriage intentions recorded on March 11, 1838 and marriage on April 1, 1838.
More About SARAH CARKIN:
Burial: Shirley, Ma.
Children of SAMUEL FARNSWORTH and SARAH CARKIN are:
21. i. MELZAR VINAL8 FARNSWORTH, b. February 13, 1846, Shirley, Ma; d. January 08, 1931, Shirley, Ma..
22. ii. GEORGE FARNSWORTH, b. February 12, 1839.
23. iii. SARAH FARNSWORTH, b. January 01, 1842; d. February 07, 1887.
24. iv. LOUIS J. FARNSWORTH, b. June 24, 1854.
19. SOPHIA7 FARNSWORTH (JOHN6, JOSEPH5, JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born 1816. She married JOHN LAWTON.
Notes for JOHN LAWTON:
Lived in Luneburg, Ma.
Child of SOPHIA FARNSWORTH and JOHN LAWTON is:
i. SARAH8 LAWTON, m. UNKNOWN BOWLES.
20. CALVIN7 FARNSWORTH (JOHN6, JOSEPH5, JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born 1820. He married SARAH STUART.
Notes for CALVIN FARNSWORTH:
Lived in Shirley, Ma.
Child of CALVIN FARNSWORTH and SARAH STUART is:
i. JOHN8 FARNSWORTH, b. 1861.
Generation No. 8
21. MELZAR VINAL8 FARNSWORTH (SAMUEL7, JOHN6, JOSEPH5, JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born February 13, 1846 in Shirley, Ma, and died January 08, 1931 in Shirley, Ma.. He married EMMA FRANCES LOTHROP April 19, 1871 in Shirley, Ma, daughter of ANSELM LOTHROP and ELIZABETH SPAULDING. She was born November 12, 1849 in Boston. Ma., and died November 13, 1925 in Shirley, Ma.
Children of MELZAR FARNSWORTH and EMMA LOTHROP are:
i. ANGELINE F.9 FARNSWORTH, b. June 18, 1872, Shirley, Ma; d. 1926, Shirley, Ma.
25. ii. MAY OR MARY F. FARNSWORTH, b. October 09, 1876, West Groton, Ma; d. 1958, Ayer, Ma.
26. iii. EDWARD A. FARNSWORTH, b. January 26, 1880; d. Westford.
iv. FRANK E. FARNSWORTH, b. August 08, 1881; m. BERTHA M..
v. CHARLIE LOUIS FARNSWORTH, b. November 27, 1873; d. April 09, 1894.
22. GEORGE8 FARNSWORTH (SAMUEL7, JOHN6, JOSEPH5, JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born February 12, 1839. He married HARRIET WATERS October 23, 1861 in Shirley, Ma.
Child of GEORGE FARNSWORTH and HARRIET WATERS is:
i. ESTHER9 FARNSWORTH, m. UNKNOWN HART.
23. SARAH8 FARNSWORTH (SAMUEL7, JOHN6, JOSEPH5, JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born January 01, 1842, and died February 07, 1887. She married PARKER FULLER January 01, 1865.
Child of SARAH FARNSWORTH and PARKER FULLER is:
i. NELLIE MARIA9 FULLER, b. June 15, 1867.
24. LOUIS J.8 FARNSWORTH (SAMUEL7, JOHN6, JOSEPH5, JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born June 24, 1854. He married GEORGIANNA H. BROWN July 04, 1878. She was born in Lunenburg, Ma.
Notes for LOUIS J. FARNSWORTH:
Recepient of the Boston Post Cane, oldest resident in Shirley.
Child of LOUIS FARNSWORTH and GEORGIANNA BROWN is:
i. BESSIE F.9 FARNSWORTH, b. August 30, 1884, Shirley, Ma; m. UNKNOWN MOULTON.
Generation No. 9
25. MAY OR MARY F.9 FARNSWORTH (MELZAR VINAL8, SAMUEL7, JOHN6, JOSEPH5, JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born October 09, 1876 in West Groton, Ma, and died 1958 in Ayer, Ma. She married EDWARD WALTER MELLISH November 26, 1894, son of WALTER MELLISH and ELIZABETH BALL. He was born May 22, 1869 in Charlestown, NH Fort #4, and died 1927.
i. GLADYS10 MELLISH, d. young.
More About GLADYS MELLISH:
Burial: Shirley, Ma.
ii. PAUL MELLISH, d. young.
More About PAUL MELLISH:
Burial: Shirley, Ma.
iii. RUTH EVELYN MELLISH, b. 1899; d. September 01, 1983, Ayer, Ma.
More About RUTH EVELYN MELLISH:
Burial: September 06, 1983, Center Cemetary, Shirley Ma
iv. MARION ANGELINA MELLISH, b. February 17, 1896, Shirley, Ma; d. July 15, 1982, Ayer, Ma; m. JOSEPH HERBERT WIGGINS; b. October 26, 1894; d. January 21, 1969, Billerica, Ma..
More About JOSEPH HERBERT WIGGINS:
Burial: Chelmsford, Ma. No headstone.
26. EDWARD A.9 FARNSWORTH (MELZAR VINAL8, SAMUEL7, JOHN6, JOSEPH5, JONATHAN4, JONATHAN3, MATHIAS2, RICHARD1) was born January 26, 1880, and died in Westford. He married EDITH L. December 13, daughter of EDWARD W. WRIGHT.
Children of EDWARD FARNSWORTH and EDITH L. are:
i. CHARLES EVERETT10 FARNSWORTH, b. June 07, 1903; d. January 10, 2005; m. MARY, 1935; d. 1976.
ii. ELEANOR FARNSWORTH, m. UNKNOWN GAUDETTE.
iii. ALSTON FARNSWORTH.
iv. ROY L. FARNSWORTH.
Copyright Charles Staples and Dorothy Brousseau, 2010. Do not reproduce these photographs without permission.