Descendants of John Carkin
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 CARKIN died Bef. November 03, 1763 in Dunstable, Ma. He married ESTHER. She was born Abt. 1710, and died September 02, 1803 in Chelmsford, Ma.
Children of JOHN CARKIN and ESTHER are:
2. i. JOSEPH2 CARKIN, b. Abt. 1748; d. February 08, 1799.
ii. ISAAC CARKIN, b. 1731; d. 1829, Hope, Knox, ME..
iii. JOHN CARKIN, b. December 18, 1735, Nottingham West, NH (Hudson?); d. March 02, 1799; m. ELIZABETH CRAM.
iv. PRUDENCE CARKIN, b. October 28, 1739, Hudson, NH.
Generation No. 2
2. JOSEPH2 CARKIN (JOHN1) was born Abt. 1748, and died February 08, 1799. He married SYBIL LITTLEHALE March 14, 1771 in Hudson, NH, daughter of ABRAHAM LITTLEHALE and MARY STEARNS. She was born Bet. 1751 – 1758 in Dunstable, Ma, and died September 05, 1807 in Tyngsborough, Ma.
Notes for JOSEPH CARKIN:
Receipt given to Capt. John Ford for millage, etc. dated Ticonderoga August 28, 1776; Also receipt given to Capt. John Ford for wasges due 10/1/1776 date Ticonderoga; reciept endorsed “marched from Chelmsford, July 25, 1776, discharged Albany, January 1, 1777.
Children of JOSEPH CARKIN and SYBIL LITTLEHALE are:
3. i. ASA3 CARKIN, b. February 29, 1780, Dracut, Ma; d. May 29, 1854, Dracut, Ma.
ii. CYNTHIA CARKIN, d. October 08, 1804, Tyngsborough, Ma.
iii. ESTHER CARKIN, b. August 31, 1782, Billerica Ma.; d. August 1806, Tyngsborough, Ma; m. AARON JEFTS, September 18, 1800.
iv. ISAAC CARKIN, m. MARTHA WEBSTER, August 09, 1804, Chester, NH; b. April 02, 1786.
v. MOSES CARKIN.
vi. RACHEL CARKIN, m. MOSES NICKLAS, January 27, 1807, Dracut, Ma.
vii. SYBIL CARKIN, m. DANIEL NICKLAS, October 12, 1811, Carlisle, Ma.
viii. MOODY DUSTIN CARKIN, b. 1778, Chester, NH; m. MARY WEBSTER, November 17, 1796, Chester, NH.
ix. JONAS CARKIN, b. Abt. June 1777; d. March 15, 1840, Tyngsborough, Ma; m. ALICE BAKER, August 07, 1796, Dracut, Ma; b. February 13, 1769, Salem, NH; d. Aft. 1850.
x. BUTTERFIELD CARKIN, b. 1790, Tyngsborough, Ma; d. April 24, 1872, Portsmouth,NH; m. MARTHA NEAL, February 12, 1811, Chester, NH; b. Abt. 1792; d. Abt. 1860.
xi. JAMES CARKIN, b. Bet. 1790 – 1800; d. March 26, 1840, Dunstable, Ma; m. ELIZABETH BANCROFT, May 12, 1823, Tyngsborough, Ma; b. Abt. 1803; d. April 09, 1843, Tyngsborough, Ma..
xii. LEVI CARKIN, b. April 06, 1794; d. 1857, Chickasaw County IA; m. LEPHA RICHMOND.
Generation No. 3
3. ASA3 CARKIN (JOSEPH2, JOHN1) was born February 29, 1780 in Dracut, Ma, and died May 29, 1854 in Dracut, Ma. He married (1) SUSAN. She was born June 01, 1843 in Lowell, Ma. He married (2) MARY PATTY HODGEMAN June 26, 1800 in Billerica, Ma. She was born Abt. 1783 in Billerica, Ma, and died December 25, 1836 in Dracut, Ma. He married (3) MARY RAYMOND MOTLEY April 20, 1839 in Dracut, Ma.
Notes for ASA CARKIN:
An Asa Carkin was in the 1800 NH census on p. 120. He lived in Chester, Rockingham County. The household consisted of one adult male age 16-26 yrs. and one adult female age 16-26 yrs. His brother, Moody, also lived in Chester, NH.
Asa Carkin was listed in the 1810 MA census in Dracut MA, p. 125. The household consisted of 7 people; 1 male under age 10, 4 females under age 10, and one male and one female age 26-45.
Asa Carkin was enumerated in the 1820 Dracut MA census on p. 531. The household consisted of 9 people with one engaged in agriculture. There were 1 male age 0-9, 1 female 0-9; one male and two females age 10-15, 2 females age 16-25, and one male and one female age 26-44 yrs.
Asa Carkin and family were enumerated in the 1830 Dracut census, p. 182. The household consisted of two males age 5-9, one male age 10-15, one male age 20-30, one male age 50-60, one feamle age 0-4, one female age 10-15, two females age 20-30, and one female age 40-50.
Asa Carkin and household were enumerated in the 1840 Dracut MA census. The household consisted of 6 people; 1 male age 5-9 yrs, 1 male age 15-19 yrs., 1 male age 40-49 yrs, 1 feamle age 0-4 yrs., 1 female age 10-14 yrs., and 1 female 30-39 yrs.
According to the 1850 census, he lived in Dracut and was a 70 yr. old wood dealer. His property was valued at approximately $1800. He was born in MA. His household also included Susan, age 54, Abel, age 27, Henrietta, age 10. Also enumerated with the family was a Charles Cambridge who was 66 yrs. old. All were born in MA. p. 295
A will of an Asa Carkin was probated in Middlesex County, MA in 1854. The number was 28791.
Notes for MARY PATTY HODGEMAN:
Burial: 1836, Old Ground, Varnum Ave., Dracut, MA7
There is a death record for an unnamed daughter of Asa and Mary that died on the same day as her mother Mary.
Children of ASA CARKIN and MARY HODGEMAN are:
i. CLARRISA4 CARKIN, b. September 11, 1801, Dracut, Ma; d. March 15, 1865, Dracut, Ma; m. WILLIAM CHAMBERLAIN, May 16, 1826, Dracut, Ma; b. Boston.
4. ii. SYBIL CARKIN, b. December 31, 1803, Dracut, Ma; d. March 15, 1865, Tyngsborough, Ma.
iii. MARY E. CARKIN, b. May 03, 1805; m. (1) GEORGE FLETCHER, May 19, 1831, Tyngsborough, Ma; m. (2) WILLIAM R. FOX, June 20, 1833, Newbury, Ma.
iv. LEONARD CARKIN, b. March 30, 1807; d. October 21, 1849; m. MARTHA SALTER, June 10, 1832, Tyngsborough, Ma.
Notes for MARTHA SALTER:
Martha Carkin age 32 and Martha J. Carkin, age 17, were enumerated in the 1850 Tyngsborough, MA census on p. 244 in the household of Nathaniel Brindley, a 41 yr. old farmer. Martha Carkin had $200 in property. Both Marthas were born in MA.
v. LUCINDA CARKIN, b. May 22, 1809.
vi. DORCUS CARKIN, b. March 14, 1811; d. Bef. 1833; m. EZRA BARKER, November 14, 1831, Tyngsborough, Ma; b. March 12, 1774.
vii. HANNAH CARKIN, b. March 18, 1813, Dracut, Ma; d. November 16, 1819, Dracut, Ma.
5. viii. LEWIS CARKIN, b. October 11, 1815, Dracut, Ma; d. June 13, 1858, Tyngsborough, Ma.
6. ix. SARAH CARKIN, b. June 16, 1818, Dracut, Ma; d. October 17, 1908, Shirley, Ma.
x. DEXTER CARKIN, b. March 18, 1821.
xi. ABEL CARKIN, b. June 20, 1823.
xii. ESTHER CARKIN, b. June 19, 1825.
xiii. UNNAMED CARKIN, b. December 25, 1836.
Generation No. 4
4. SYBIL4 CARKIN (ASA3, JOSEPH2, JOHN1) was born December 31, 1803 in Dracut, Ma, and died March 15, 1865 in Tyngsborough, Ma. She married JONAS CARKIN October 31, 1822 in Dracut, Ma. He was born Abt. 1796 in Tyngsborough, Ma, and died September 28, 1848 in Tyngsborough, Ma.
Notes for SYBIL CARKIN:
Sibbel Carkin and family are enumerated in the 1850 MA census in Tyngsborough,Ma, p. 242. The family consists of Sibbel, age 46; Moses, age 16; Enoch, age 11; and Martha E., age 5. All were born in MA. She lived next door to the Thomas Hunter family.
In the 1855 MA State Census, she is listed as 51 yrs. of age living with her children Moses B. age 21, a farmer, Enoch, age 17 yrs., a farmer, and Martha E., age 9 yrs. Her close neighbors were the Ebenezer Potter Hall family (Sybil’s sister in law) [p. 104].
She is the 1860 census with Moses G. Barker, a farm laborer, age 25 yrs. No one else is in the household. She is a 56 yr. old house keeper.
1860 MA Census, Tyngsborough, MA, p. 584.
In the 1865 MA census [p. 125], she is 61 yrs.old and living as head of household with Moses P., Enoch, and Martha E.
According to son Enoch’s death record in 1905, she was born in Dracut.
Notes for JONAS CARKIN:
He was a stone cutter on daughter Martha Ellen’s birth record in 1845 and they lived in Tyngsboro.
Jonas Carkin and family were enumerated in the 1840 Tyngsborough census. The household consisted of one male age 40-50, one male and one female age 30-40, two males age 20-30, two females age 15-20, one female age 10-15, one female and 5 males age 5-10, and one male and one female under age 5. Four people in the household were engaged in manufacture and trades. A total of 16 people in household!
According to his son Enoch’s death record in 1905, he was Jonathan Carkin, a stone mason, who was born in Tyngsborough, MA.
Children of SYBIL CARKIN and JONAS CARKIN are:
i. MARTHA ELLEN5 CARKIN, b. 1845.
ii. ENOCH CARKIN, b. 1839; d. 1905.
iii. MOSES CARKIN, b. 1834.
5. LEWIS4 CARKIN (ASA3, JOSEPH2, JOHN1) was born October 11, 1815 in Dracut, Ma, and died June 13, 1858 in Tyngsborough, Ma. He married HANNAH FOSTER March 26, 1842 in Tyngsborough, Ma. She was born Abt. 1815 in NH.
Children of LEWIS CARKIN and HANNAH FOSTER are:
i. DEXTER5 CARKIN, b. 1844.
ii. HOWARD CARKIN, b. 1848.
iii. SARAH CARKIN, b. Abt. 1849.
6. SARAH4 CARKIN (ASA3, JOSEPH2, JOHN1) was born June 16, 1818 in Dracut, Ma, and died October 17, 1908 in Shirley, Ma. She married SAMUEL FARNSWORTH April 01, 1838, son of JOHN FARNSWORTH and PRISCILLA DICKINSON. He was born February 28, 1814 in Shirley, Ma, and died May 03, 1904 in Shirley, Ma.
Notes for SARAH CARKIN:
In the 1850 Shirley Census, she was 32 yrs. old. Her sister Esther was living with them.
U.S. Census, Shirley, MA; house 120, family 137.
Vital Record of Shirley Massachusetts has marriage intentions recorded on March 11, 1838 and marriage on April 1, 1838.
More About SARAH CARKIN:
Burial: Shirley, Ma.
Notes for SAMUEL FARNSWORTH:
Samuel Farnsworth and family were enumerated in the 1850 Shirley, MA census on p. 8B. The household consisted of Samuel, age 36, a farmer with $3,000 in property, Sarah A., age 32, George, age 11, Sarah J., age 8, Nelson, age 5, Thomas Chaplin, a 37 yr. old laborer and Esther Carkin, age 25, probably Sarah’s sister.
U.S. Census, Shirley, MA; house 120, family 137.
Samuel Farnsworth and family were enumerated in the 1860 Shirley, MA census, p. 30., family 219, house 208. The household consisted of Samuel, age 45, a farmer, with $7,000? in real estate and $2,000 in personal property, a farmer; Sarah A., age 41; George S., age 21; Sarah J., age 18; Melzar V., age 11; Lewis J., age 5, Ester Carkin, age 33, a domestic; and George Holden, age 25, a farm laborer. Sarah, Melzar and Lewis attended school that year. All were born in MA.
Samuel Farnsworth and family were enumerated in the 1870 Shirley, MA census, p. 32. The household consisted of 56 yr. old Samuel, a farmer with $11,000 in real estate and $5,000 in personal property; Sarah A., age 52; Melgar, age 24, farm laborere; Lewis C., age 16, farm laborer; and Esther Carkin, age 45, a domestic servant.
Samuel Farnsworth and family were enumerated in the 1880 Shirley, MA census, ED 575?, p. 4. The household consisted of Samuel, age 66, a farmer; Sarah A., age 62; Esther Carkin, age 50, a servant. All were born in MA.
Marriage date might have been 1835
Was the owner of the Bull Run tavern, and at one time consider the richest man in Shirley.
More About SAMUEL FARNSWORTH:
Burial: Shirley, Ma.
Children of SARAH CARKIN and SAMUEL FARNSWORTH are:
7. i. MELZAR VINAL5 FARNSWORTH, b. February 13, 1846, Shirley, Ma; d. January 08, 1931, Shirley, Ma..
8. ii. GEORGE FARNSWORTH, b. February 12, 1839.
9. iii. SARAH FARNSWORTH, b. January 01, 1842; d. February 07, 1887.
10. iv. LOUIS J. FARNSWORTH, b. June 24, 1854.
Generation No. 5
7. MELZAR VINAL5 FARNSWORTH (SARAH4 CARKIN, ASA3, JOSEPH2, JOHN1) was born February 13, 1846 in Shirley, Ma, and died January 08, 1931 in Shirley, Ma.. He married EMMA FRANCES LOTHROP April 19, 1871 in Shirley, Ma, daughter of ANSELM LOTHROP and ELIZABETH SPAULDING. She was born November 12, 1849 in Boston. Ma., and died November 13, 1925 in Shirley, Ma.
Children of MELZAR FARNSWORTH and EMMA LOTHROP are:
i. ANGELINE F.6 FARNSWORTH, b. June 18, 1872, Shirley, Ma; d. 1926, Shirley, Ma.
ii. MAY F. FARNSWORTH, b. October 09, 1876, West Groton, Ma; d. 1958, Ayer, Ma; m. EDWARD WALTER MELLISH, November 26, 1894; b. May 22, 1869, Charlestown, NH Fort #4; d. 1927.
More About MAY F. FARNSWORTH:
Burial: Shirley, Ma.
More About EDWARD WALTER MELLISH:
Burial: Shirley, Ma.
iii. EDWARD A. FARNSWORTH, b. January 26, 1880; d. Westford; m. EDITH L., December 13.
iv. FRANK E. FARNSWORTH, b. August 08, 1881; m. BERTHA M..
v. CHARLIE LOUIS FARNSWORTH, b. November 27, 1873; d. April 09, 1894.
8. GEORGE5 FARNSWORTH (SARAH4 CARKIN, ASA3, JOSEPH2, JOHN1) was born February 12, 1839. He married HARRIET WATERS October 23, 1861 in Shirley, Ma.
Child of GEORGE FARNSWORTH and HARRIET WATERS is:
i. ESTHER6 FARNSWORTH, m. UNKNOWN HART.
9. SARAH5 FARNSWORTH (SARAH4 CARKIN, ASA3, JOSEPH2, JOHN1) was born January 01, 1842, and died February 07, 1887. She married PARKER FULLER January 01, 1865.
Child of SARAH FARNSWORTH and PARKER FULLER is:
i. NELLIE MARIA6 FULLER, b. June 15, 1867.
10. LOUIS J.5 FARNSWORTH (SARAH4 CARKIN, ASA3, JOSEPH2, JOHN1) was born June 24, 1854. He married GEORGIANNA H. BROWN July 04, 1878. She was born in Lunenburg, Ma.
Notes for LOUIS J. FARNSWORTH:
Recepient of the Boston Post Cane, oldest resident in Shirley.
Child of LOUIS FARNSWORTH and GEORGIANNA BROWN is:
i. BESSIE F.6 FARNSWORTH, b. August 30, 1884, Shirley, Ma; m. UNKNOWN MOULTON.
Copyright Charles Staples and Dorothy Brousseau 2010. Do not use photographs without permission.